You had me at ‘merlot’
Situation: You and your friends are so busy with work, family, projects, and their significant others and it now seems like forever since you have reunited for a good conversation.
Solution: No need to wait for birthdays and special occasions to get together, invite your closest friends and have them bring their favorite wine bottle for Wine Wednesday (or Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday… who cares?)
How to get started: Yes, you can do a last minute trip to the market and buy some pre-packaged crackers and cheddar in a box, grapes, and wine… OR you can keep scrolling and reading for inspiration on how to host an unexpectedly decadent get-together for wine o’clock.
- What to buy (or ask your friends to contribute to the cause):
- 3 bottles of wine for every 4 people
- 2 oz of cheese per guest (see pairings below)
- 1 cheese knife per cheese (tip to impress: invest in gold or copper flatware, marble or wood cheese boards like the ones at the end of the post)
- Artisan bread or crackers
- Dried fruit or slices of fresh berries
- Walnuts or almonds
- Fig jam or honey/maple
- Extra: brownie bites and tea for the non-wine drinkers and designated drivers, cheese fondue if you want to get fancy
- Flowers from your local supermarket- you can find cheap yet astonishing looking flowers in plum, lavender, blush, white, green, and pink tones that will look beautiful and will pair well with the theme.
2. Create the mood
Put the snacks in a nice cheese board (no packaging, please!), buy some plum/lilac/olive green flowers or succulents at the local market (I check Trader Joes and Vons first), light a couple aromatic candles, and you are already half-way there. Wine night should not get expensive (unless you feel like this is a good opportunity to invest in some much-needed barware).
B&P TIP: Other cheap and beautiful decor ideas include buying a bunch of cheap vases or empty bottles and put one flower in each. I have also seen melted candles adorning old empty bottles and it looks very romantic. If you are DIYer then definitely use your skills for this.
A very cute tip is to buy a chalkboard table runner or mats and have some chalk around in the table- the more your friends drink the better their doodles will get!
Bar carts are also a great addition to your home decor either way, so might be a good time to go to Target and buy yourself a well-deserved personal bar. Even if you are not a drinker you will find it handy every time you host a night with friends.
If you are struggling setting things up take a look at the gallery below with some really beautiful yet simple and easy set ups that your friends will be Instagramming all-night!
Some great wine night shopping finds:
- Urban Outfitters Drink-a-diamond glass set $ 29 (set of 2)
- Gold Cheese Spreaders- West Elm $49 (set of 4)
- kate spade new york Woodland Park Owl Bottle Stopper – Bed Bath & Beyond $29.99 (set of 2)
- Threshold Bar Cart – Target $129.99
- Paper Chalkboard Table Runner – Sur La Table $14.99
- Flair Hammered Glass Stemware – Pier1 Imports 6.95-7.95
- kate spade new york® Cream “Drink Me” Wine Tote- Bon Ton $7.49 (Sale!)
- Gilded rim stemless glass – Anthropologie $20
- Marble serving board- Candelabra $95 (similar here for 39.95)
- Marble Cheese Board with Slicer – Crate & Barrel $19.95)
- Copper Wine Opener- Williams Sonoma $24.95